What We Are Reading for Autumn 2019 // 7 Books


Our 7 Reads for Autumn 2019 

Four Books for Mama & Three Books for Kiddos

I'm starting a new series for each season of the year. They will not always be season specific, but I just LOVE sharing great books I find and enjoy with all of you! I hope you enjoy them as well! I have linked all of these for you to make it easy to shop for them. It's not too early to think of putting some things away for Christmas gifts! We love to give books as presents! Here is what we are currently enjoying. 


Four Books for Mama



1. The Marian Option : God's Solution to a Civilization in Crisis by Carrie Gress. I love all books by Carrie Gress! I downed her book, Anti-Mary Exposed : Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity, in a day and half. She's a talented writer with some amazing points to share! Mary was the hardest hurdle for me into the Catholic Church, but once I realized they do NOT worship Mary at all...it's blasphemy, I began to really understand the beauty of Mary and Mariology. This book has some eye openers for our troubled times with HOPE. 







2. Not Of This World by Sterling Jaquith. If you want to see a flip through of this book, head over to my instagram and there is one in my instagram highlights under "books." Now, I'm already a minimalist and loved Marie Kondo's The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, but this book by Sterling helps me to keep the most important thing in my life in focus : My Faith. This book is not just for Catholics. It's for all Christians who want to lead a simple life, uncluttered and full of real joy. It gives you the process to take, the reasoning behind it and the questions you need to ask yourself. Some of those questions are pretty convicting, but I LOVE it. This book is an quick read with bite sized chapters that make it all manageable for busy mamas! There are chapters for large families, homeschoolers and how to do this with your spouse and children! 






3. The Call of The Wild + Free : Reclaiming Wonder in Your Child's Education by Ainsley Arment. This author is the founder of the Wild + Free Organization! We have followed them since the very very beginning many years ago. I remember talking to Ainsley in those early days when I first promoted her on my first successful blog. She's so sweet! I'm so glad to see her release a book! It has color photos in it which I love and it's full of all the homeschool wisdom. If you're new to homeschooling, if you're overwhelmed about homeschooling and all the things - YOU. NEED. THIS. BOOK. If you have been homeschooling for awhile, you'll find it a breath of fresh are and assurance that your kids are going to turn out just fine.







4. Theology of Home : Finding the Eternal in the Everyday by Carrie Gress, Noelle Mering & Megan Schrieber. Yes, another Carrie Gress book! This is a new one that I preordered as soon as I heard of it quite some time ago now. It just got in yesterday and I am LOVING it as much as I had hoped! It is another full-of-color photograph book that just speaks of calm and faith. It's a book that speaks about blending faith into your home life and creating an atmosphere that cultivates the Catholic faith, right at home. I just love it! It's like a warm hug for homemaking Catholic mamas! There's a quick flip-through on my Instagram! 





Three Books for Kiddos 



1. The Holy Gospels of St. Luke and St. John by William Bloomfield. This is a series called Sacred Art Series and it is BEAUTIFUL. This is not just for Catholics! It is just the Gospels of Luke and John but with beautiful photography art on almost every single page. It infuses art and faith in such a way that it makes the Bible feel like you're reading a story book that isn't babyish for older kids. It's just the truth of Christ's mission, His walk on earth, all He taught us and, of course, His sacrifice in His Passion. I only wish I could afford for all my children to have their own copies so that when I read along they can just get absorbed in the photos as we go. It's such a great tool and I hope they make many more! 








2. Our Lady's Message to Three Shepherd Children and the World by Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle. This book is a perfect read aloud about Our Lady of Fatima! It has gorgeous black and white art and the story is engaging yet life changing. Not just for our children, for myself as well! Donna-Marie did a great job telling this story. The story of Our Lady of Fatima, the miracle that happened there can be googled as it was captured by media outlets! In front of thousands of witnesses! The day the sun danced in the sky! People, news media, came to MOCK the Catholics and left converted. That is just what happens after you witness such a miraculous event! Definitely read this one to your kiddos! 





3. The Easiest Way to Jesus : A Marian Consecration for Children by Brian and Esmeralda Kiczek. You can find the print version of this book here on the site that sells the gorgeous "American Girl" type Catholic dolls!!! I have tried to get through the 33 Days to Morning Glory, but as a new Catholic, it was very difficult for me to truly understand. I'm still learning and will be for quite some time, however, this book has made Marian Consecration very easy with the bonus of doing it with my kids! It has a short reading for each of the 33 days and then a picture of Mary and a short prayer. If you're trying to get closer to Jesus, this is a great way to grow in that faith! Jesus was given to us through the body of Mary, and she still teaches us about her Holy Son. It has the dates to start for each of the consecrations and it's very easy to follow. I've learned a LOT along with my children. 






What are you reading this autumn? Leave a comment below with your favorite current reads! Happy Fall! Aloha! 




3 comments

  1. This is a great list of books! The Theology of the Home is one my book club is reading this year. I officially need the Gospel book with that gorgeous artwork! And I just ordered the Wild and Free book from the library - thank you for the inspiration, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOhh I think i need to get all of these, they look phenomenal! I did actually see Theology of Home somewhere else recently, and so it's sitting in my shopping cart as we speak (waiting for payday!).
    I am reading the Catholic All Year Compendium by Kendra Tierney at the moment, and A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot - both are helping me heaps to try and organise my chaos!
    As with Alicia's comment, thanks so much for the inspiration! I love your blog too! I've been following for a while now and your conversion to Catholicism has made my heart so happy - and you've embraced it so fully (this cradle Catholic certainly has a lot to learn from your passion!); so thank you for your writing and sharing and joy and your wonderful family!
    God Bless xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look awesome. Thanks for sharing ideas for the kids too. I can't wait to read all these books.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Box Only Appears on Desk/Laptop Computers, Not Mobile. Working to Fix, but no Answers Yet.